Dr Felipe Colon
My research focuses on the intersection between climate and health, and on how environmental, demographic, and socioeconomic factors interact to determine the risk of infectious disease transmission. My experience incorporates elements from epidemiology, disease modelling, public health, environmental and computer sciences. I have contributed papers to the IPCC Special Report on the impacts of global warming at 1.5 degrees, and the IPCC Report of Worrking Group II. I am a member of the WHO Expert Group on Using Climate and Weather Information for Predicting and Preparing for Cholera and Vector-Borne Diseases. I am a Research Fellow at the School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia working on the use of novel technologies for early outbreak detection within the Health Protection Research Unit on Emergency Preparedness and Response.
Principles of Statistics and Epidemiology
I have contributed to numerous international projects investigating the influence of weather and climate upon climate-sensitive diseases including but not restricted to mosquito-borne diseases, allergic rhinitis, campylobacteriosis and cryptosporidiosis. I have led unique cross-disciplinary studies on the effects of both climate and climate change on infectious diseases in Latin America, South East Asia, Europe and Africa. One of my most recent contributions investigated the potential impacts of climate change on future malaria and dengue risk across different latitude and urbanisation gradieents. I also work on the development of spatiotemporal models for infectious disease forecasting.
- Colón-González, FJ; Maquins Odhiambo, S; Tompkins, AM; Sjödin, H; Casallas, A;Rocklöv, J; Caminade, C; Lowe, R; Projecting the risk of mosquito-borne diseases in a warmer and more urbanised world: a multi-model multi-scenario intercomparison modelling study. The Lancet Planetary Health, (2021). 5(7):e404-e414, DOI: 10.1016/S2542-5196(21)00132-7.
- Colón-González, FJ; Soares Bastos, L; Hofmann, B; Hopkin, A; Harpham, Q; Crocker, T; Amato, R; Ferrario, I; Moschini, F; James, S; Malde, S; Ainscoe, E; Sinh Nam, V; Quang Tan, D; Duc Khoa, N; Harrison, M; Tsarouchi, G; Lumbroso, D; Brady, OJ; Lowe, R; Probabilistic seasonal dengue forecasting in Vietnam: A modelling study using superensembles. PLoS Medicine, (2021).18 (3), DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1003542.
- Lowe, R; Lee, S; O’Reilly, KM; Brady, OJ; Soares Bastos, L; Carrasco-Escobar, G; de Castro Catao, R; Colón-González, FJ; Barcellos, C; Sa Carvalho, M; Blangiardo, M; Rue, H; Gasparrini, A; Effect of hydrometeorological extremes on dengue risk in Brazil by level of urbanisation: a spatiotemporal modelling study. The Lancet Planetary Health, (2021).5(4), DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S2542-5196(20)30298
- Morrison, KE; Colón-González, FJ; Morbey, RA; Hunter, PR; Rutter, J; Stuttard, G; De Lusignan, S; Yeates, A; Pebody, R; Smith, G; Elliot, AJ; Lake, IR; Demographic and socioeconomic patterns in healthcare-seeking behaviour for respiratory symptoms in England: a comparison with non-respiratory symptoms and between three healthcare services. BMJ OPEN, (2020).10 (11), DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-038356.
- Warren, R; Andrews, O; Brown, S; Forstenhaeusler, N; Gernaat, D; Colón-González, FJ; Goodwin, P; Harris, I; et al. Quantifying implications of limiting global warming to 1.5 or 2°C above pre-industrial levels. Climatic Change (2021) In Press.