Ms Morgon Banks
Morgon Banks is an Associate Professor in Disability Research at the International Centre for Evidence in Disability (ICED) at LSHTM.
Morgon is a co-organiser for the module Global Disability and Health and teaches on various other modules. She supervises five PhD/DrPH students:
- Danae Rodriguez Gatta, who is assessing access to healthcare for people with disabilities, with a focus on Chile.
- Luthfi Azizatunnisa', who is exploring the access to and impact of health insurance amongst people with disabilities, with a focus on Indonesia.
- Emily Eldred, who is examining the effect and inclusivity of school-based violence prevention interventions by disability-status in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Sabrina Ebert, who is investigating disability-inclusion in humanitarian responses.
- Queen Seketi (based at the University of Zambia), who is focusing on the inclusion of people with disabilities in COVID-19 responses in Zambia.
Morgon is a mixed methods researcher working on a number of projects on disability. She works on a wide range of topics on disability, but her primary research focus is in disability, poverty and social protection.
Current projects include:
1. PENDA project (funded by FCDO): evaluates 8 interventions that aim to improve the well-being of people with disabilities in low and middle-income countries. Current trials include a disability-targeted pilot cash transfer in Laos, a skills development programme for youth with disabilities in Bangladesh and a livelihood programme for microentrepreneurs with disabilities in Kenya.
2. COVID-19 and disability (funded by IDS/FCDO): assessing the experience of people with disabilities in India, Zambia, Ghana, Bangladesh, Peru, Thailand and Turkey (Syrian refugees in Istanbul) during the pandemic and their inclusion in COVID-19 response measures.
3. Extra costs network (funded by AHRC): establishing a network of experts on the measurement of disability-related extra costs and strategies for addressing costs through social protection and other policies.
Morgon has presented her research at the United Nations’ Conference of State Parties to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, the European Parliament and to a variety of academic, NGO/iNGO, and government audiences. She is a contributor to the UN Flagship Report on Disability & Development and the lead author on the Economic Costs of Exclusion and Gains of Inclusion of People with Disabilities.