Preventing global NCDs through low carbon development
Date: Tuesday 12 February 2013
Time: 9:00 am
Venue: John Snow Lecture Theatre, LSHTM, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Type of event: Symposium
The increasing burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) poses an enormous threat to populations and health systems across the globe. At the same time, the impacts of climate change are predicted to have profound public health effects and demand urgent transition to low-carbon economies. Although important synergies exist in the causes and efforts to tackle these major health threats, the synergies have received limited attention to date.
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine's Centre for Global NCDs and the Centre on Global Change and Health are hosting a one-day symposium to 1) share information between the NCD and sustainability communities and 2) identify common causes and interlinkages within these communities’ agendas. The event will bring together policy makers, NGOs and researchers to better understand each other’s perspectives and exploit common strategies to become more than the sum of their parts.
Key note speakers will present an overview of each subject area, highlighting the important linkages. This will be followed by a session showcasing research and policy actions that achieve both NCD prevention and low-carbon development. The afternoon will feature a panel discussion to debate the most effective actions to achieve sustainability and low-carbon development at local and global scales.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Sir George Alleyne, Emeritus Director, PAHO
- Professor Sir Bob Watson, former DEFRA Chief Scientist and former Chief Scientist and Director for Environmentally and Socially Sustainable Development (ESSD) at the World Bank
- Professor Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy, City University
- Dr Carlos Dora, Coordinator, WHO/Department of Public Health and Environment
- Professor Sir Andy Haines, Professor of Public Health & Primary Care, LSHTM
- Dr Anna Coote, Head of Social Policy, New Economics Foundation
- Professor Ian Roberts, LSHTM
Register online at http://globalncd2013.eventbrite.com/
Admission: Registration required, see url belowEmail: GlobalNCD@lshtm.ac.uk
More information: http://globalncd2013.eventbrite.com/