Performance and Development Review
Performance and Development Review (PDR) is the School’s annual appraisal process. PDR is a key element of an ongoing performance management and development process where staff have regular meetings with their manager throughout the year to review progress, receive feedback on their performance, discuss and set objectives for the coming year and to explore support and development for their career aspirations.
Key Principles of PDR
PDR is for all School staff regardless of the length of service or length of contract and will usually be carried out annually between June to August.
- PDR discussions are two-way and full engagement is expected from both the Reviewer and the Reviewee.
- Staff should be encouraged to form sound judgments about their own performance and self-reflection is a key feature of PDR.
- PDR discussions are an opportunity for positive recognition of contribution, strengths and achievements and should involve constructive feedback to support learning and improvement.
- PDR is a two-way process and reviewers should elicit feedback on how they are guiding and supporting their staff as well as offering feedback.
PDR 2016/2017 Academic Year
During August 2016 we will be introducing an online PDR form, which can be accessed through MyView. The process for 2016 will be as follows:
- PDR is completed using paper based form (as in previous years).
- Online PDR will be available in MyView from August 2016 – email notifications will be sent to staff.
- Reviewees enter their Objectives and Career Development Plan (Section 1 & 2) into MyView PDR. If you are using 2015 PDR form, this is Part B: Planning for the Next Period and Part C: Forward planning for professional and career development.
- MyView PDR remains open and can be updated throughout the year to reflect progress/changes.
- Spring 2017 - Reviewees receive an email to notify them of the start of the PDR round 2017
Training and Support
The TED team offer training for both reviewers and reviewees and further details can be viewed here.
These documents relate to the PDR process in general.
- PDR FAQs
- PDR Process 2016 (pdf), PDR Process 2017 (pdf)
- Policy Statement
- PDR Guidelines
- Guidance on Carrying out a PDR
- PDR Form 2016 (MS Word)
- Expectations of academic staff
These documents relate to the online PDR process including how to complete the online form in MyView.