Professor Philippe Mayaud MD, MSc, DMTH
About Philippe Mayaud
Clinical epidemiologist in the field of HIV/AIDS, STI and reproductive health.
- Philippe Mayaud's Contacts
- Room 304(a)
- Keppel Street
- WC1E 7HT
- T: +44 20 7927 2291
- F: +44 20 7927 2739
- Trained as GP and in infectious and tropical diseases in France.
- MSc in Clinical Tropical Medicine from the LSHTM (1990-91)
- Professional experience in HIV/STI care in French Guiana (1985-86), as a District Medical Officer in the Commonwealth of Dominica (1987-1990), and as a researcher in a large STI/HIV intervention and research programme in Mwanza, Tanzania (1991-97).
- Working with LSHTM since 1991.
- Honorary Associate Professor, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- External examiner, School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana.
- Visiting Professor at University of Sao Paulo (USP), School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Sao Paulo, Brazil, through CAPES-funded Science without Borders programme.
- Module Organiser: "Control of STI" since 1997.
- Regular teaching on the MSc Control of Infectious Diseases, the Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, and the MSc in Reproductive and Sexual Health Research at LSHTM;
- External teaching currently at Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM), Antwerp, Belgium; and University of Sao Paulo, Brazil; and in the past for various other national and international STI courses including: at the British Association of Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH) and the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, UK; University of Bordeaux and IMEA Fondation Leon M´Ba, Paris, France; Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden; and University of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- Main research interests are in the clinical management of sexually transmitted infectons (STI), the organisation of STI/HIV prevention and care services in various contexts, and the evaluation of interventions targeting the HIV-STI interactions, with a particular interest in genital herpes (HSV-2), human papillomavirus (HPV), and cervico-vaginal infections.
- I have participated, through a succession of DFID-funded research programmes on HIV/AIDS & STI, in research on various aspects of HIV/STI control in several anglophone and francophone African countries, in China and in Brazil.
- Coordinator of an EU/FP7 funded consortium (2010-2014) conducting research on the evaluation of cervical cancer prevention among HIV-infected women in Africa - the HPV in Africa Research Partnership (HARP) (http://harp-fp7.org/)
- Clinical trials
- Sexual health
Disease and Health Conditions
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Infectious disease
- Sexually transmitted disease
- Sexually transmitted infection
- Caribbean small states
- Latin America & Caribbean (all income levels)
- Sub-Saharan Africa (all income levels)
- Burkina Faso
- Gambia, The
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- HIV Treatment
- HIV prevention
- Households And Families
- Human Papillomavirus
- Public health
- clinical epidemiology
- international partnerships
- intervention evaluation
- intervention studies
Safety and Immunogenicity of Human Papillomavirus-16/18 AS04-Adjuvanted Vaccine: A Randomized Trial in 10-25-Year-Old HIV-Seronegative African Girls and Young Women.
Sow, P.S.; Watson-Jones, D.; Kiviat, N.; Changalucha, J.; Mbaye, K.D.; Brown, J.; Bousso, K.; Kavishe, B.; Andreasen, A.; Toure, M.; Kapiga, S.; Mayaud, P.; Hayes, R.; Lebacq, M.; Herazeh, M.; Thomas, F.; Descamps, D.;
J Infect Dis, 2013; 207(11):1753-63
Transmission of Human Herpesvirus Type 8 Infection Within Families in American Indigenous Populations From the Brazilian Amazon
Borges, J.D.; Souza, V.; Giambartolomei, C.; Dudbridge, F.; Freire, W.S.; Gregorio, S.A.; Torrez, P.P.Q.; Quiroga, M.; Mayaud, P.; Pannuti, C.S.; Nascimento, M.C.
Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2012; 205(12):1869-1876
Prevalence of malaria and sexually transmitted and reproductive tract infections in pregnancy in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review.
Chico, R.M. ; Mayaud, P. ; Ariti, C. ; Mabey, D. ; Ronsmans, C. ; Chandramohan, D. ;
JAMA, 2012; 307(19):2079-86
HPV vaccination in Tanzanian schoolgirls: cluster-randomised trial comparing two vaccine delivery strategies.
Watson-Jones, D.; Baisley, K.; Ponsiano, R.; Lemme, F.; Remes, P.; Ross, D.; Kapiga, S.; Mayaud, P.; de Sanjosé, S.; Wight, D.; Changalucha, J.; Hayes, R.;
J Infect Dis, 2012; 206(5):678-86
Impact of aciclovir on genital and plasma HIV-1 RNA in HSV-2/HIV-1 co-infected women: a randomized placebo-controlled trial in South Africa.
Delany, S.; Mlaba, N.; Clayton, T.; Akpomiemie, G.; Capovilla, A.; Legoff, J.; Belec, L.; Stevens, W.; Rees, H.; Mayaud, P.;
AIDS, 2009; 23(4):461-9
Rapid point-of-care diagnostic test for syphilis in high-risk populations, Manaus, Brazil.
Sabidó, M.; Benzaken, A.S.; de-Andrade-Rodrigues, E.J.; Mayaud, P.;
Emerg Infect Dis, 2009; 15(4):647-9
Impact of Acyclovir on Genital and Plasma HIV-1 RNA, Genital Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 DNA, and Ulcer Healing among HIV-1-Infected African Women with Herpes Ulcers: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial.
Mayaud, P.; Legoff, J.; Weiss, H.A.; Grésenguet, G.; Nzambi, K.; Bouhlal, H.; Frost, E.; Pépin, J.; Malkin, J.E.; Hayes, R.J.; Mabey, D.C.; Bélec, L.; ANRS 1212 Study Group, .;
J Infect Dis, 2009; 200(2):216-226
Herpes simplex virus and HIV-1: deciphering viral synergy.
Van de Perre, P.; Segondy, M.; Foulongne, V.; Ouedraogo, A.; Konate, I.; Huraux, J.M.; Mayaud, P.; Nagot, N.;
Lancet Infect Dis, 2008; 8(8):490-7
- → View all Professor Philippe Mayaud 's publications