Dr Manuel Gomes BSc MSc PhD
- Manuel Gomes's Contacts
- Room 142
- 15-17 Tavistock Place
- WC1H 9SH
- T: +44 (0) 207 927 2507
- F: +44 (0) 207 927 2701
- Follow me
Manuel Gomes's Background
After graduating with a first degree in Economics, I completed a MSc in Economics at the University of Porto, a MSc in Health Economics at the University of York, and a PhD in Health Economics at the LSHTM. My PhD thesis considered alternative statistical methods for cost-effectiveness analysis that use cluster randomised trials. I have recently been awarded a MRC Early Career Fellowship on developing appropriate methods for addressing missing data in health economic evaluation, particularly, when data are hierarchical, non-randomised and missing not at random.
Manuel Gomes's Affiliation
Manuel Gomes's Teaching
I'm a seminar leader on MSc teaching modules: Introduction to Health Economics and Economic Evaluation.
Manuel Gomes's Research
My main research interests lie in the development and application of statistical methods for the analysis of health outcomes, cost and cost-effectiveness data.
1. MRC-funded research project on improving statistical methods for cost-effectiveness analyses that use cluster trials.
2. MRC Early Career Fellowship on developing appropriate methods for the analysis of missing data in health economic evaluation.
1. Comparison of endovascular repair versus open surgery for emergency patients with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm (IMPROVE).
2. Risk adjustment in neurocritical care (RAIN) to evaluate the costs and outcomes of alternative ways of delivering care to patients with traumatic brain injury.
3. Economic aspects of UK Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs).
4. Development of a decision-analytical model to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of alternative risk prediction models for prevention programmes (FIRE).
- Economic evaluation
- Health technology assessment
- Statistical methods
Disease and Health Conditions
- Cardiovascular disease
- Non-communicable diseases
- European Union
- United Kingdom
- Centre for Statistical Methods
- Cluster Randomised Trials
- Cost Effectiveness Analysis
- Handling Missing Data
- Health Economics
- Missing Data
- Statistical methodology
- economics of health care
Endovascular or open repair strategy for ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm: 30 day outcomes from IMPROVE randomised trial
Powell, J.T.; Sweeting, M.J.; Thompson, M.M.; Ashleigh, R.; Bell, R.; Gomes, M.; Greenhalgh, R.M.; Grieve, R.; Heatley, F.; Hinchliffe, R.J.; Thompson, S.G.; Ulug, P.
BMJ, 2014; 348:f7661
Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of 3-D Computerized Tomography Colonography Versus Optical Colonoscopy for Imaging Symptomatic Gastroenterology Patients.
Gomes, M. ; Aldridge, R.W. ; Wylie, P. ; Bell, J. ; Epstein, O. ;
Appl Health Econ Health Policy, 2013;
Multiple Imputation Methods for Handling Missing Data in Cost-effectiveness Analyses That Use Data from Hierarchical Studies: An Application to Cluster Randomized Trials.
Gomes, M. ; Díaz-Ordaz, K. ; Grieve, R. ; Kenward, M.G. ;
Med Decis Making, 2013;
Statistical Methods for Cost-Effectiveness Analyses That Use Data from Cluster Randomized Trials: A Systematic Review and Checklist for Critical Appraisal.
Gomes, M.; Grieve, R.; Nixon, R.; Edmunds, W.J.;
Med Decis Making, 2012; 32(1):209-20
Developing Appropriate Methods for Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Cluster Randomized Trials.
Gomes, M.; Ng, E.S.; Grieve, R.; Nixon, R.; Carpenter, J.; Thompson, S.G.;
Med Decis Making, 2012; 32(2):350-61
METHODS FOR COVARIATE ADJUSTMENT IN COST-EFFECTIVENESS ANALYSIS THAT USE CLUSTER RANDOMISED TRIALS.
Gomes, M.; Grieve, R.; Nixon, R.; Ng, E.S.; Carpenter, J.; Thompson, S.G.;
Health Econ, 2012; 21(9):1101-18
Cost-effectiveness analysis of general anaesthesia versus local anaesthesia for carotid surgery (GALA Trial).
Gomes, M. ; Soares, M.O. ; Dumville, J.C. ; Lewis, S.C. ; Torgerson, D.J. ; Bodenham, A.R. ; Gough, M.J. ; Warlow, C.P. ; GALA Collaborative Group, . ;
Br J Surg, 2010; 97(8):1218-25
- → View all Dr Manuel Gomes's publications