Dr Ellen Flint BA MSc PhD
About Ellen Flint
MRC Strategic Skills Fellow in Population Health Science
- Ellen Flint's Contacts
- 15-17 Tavistock Place
- WC1H 9SH
- T: +44 (0)20 7927 2742
Ellen Flint's Background
Ellen has a broad interest in the social and spatial patterning of health and wellbeing with a methodological focus on longitudinal data analysis and multilevel modelling. Ellen is a member of the Healthy Environments Research Programme (HERP), led by Professor Steven Cummins.
- ESRC PhD studentship (University College London 2012): Investigating the temporal and spatial dimensions of the relationship between labour market status and psychological distress.
- MSc Demography (LSHTM 2008).
- BA hons Geography (University of Cambridge 2007)
Ellen Flint's Affiliation
- Department of Social and Environmental Health Research
- Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health
Ellen Flint's Teaching
MSc Public Health: Statistics for Public Health.
Ellen Flint's Research
Ellen's MRC Fellowship research explores the relationship between active commuting and cardiovascular disease in the UK using four large, longitudinal datasets: Understanding Society, the ONS Longitudial Study, UK Biobank and the ORiEL study.
Other current research interests include:
- The Olympic Regeneration in East London (ORiEL) study.
- Investigating the effects of Living Wage implementation on the health and wellbeing of low-paid employees in the UK.
- Unemployment, insecure employment and psychological wellbeing.
- Health inequalities
- Physical activity
- Social and structural determinants of health
- Statistical methods
- Life-course epidemiology
- Social Sciences
Disease and Health Conditions
- Mental health
- Non-communicable diseases
- European Union
- OECD members
- Analysis Of Longitudinal Data
- Longitudinal analysis
- Multilevel modelling
- Psychological wellbeing
New neighborhood grocery store increased awareness of food access but did not alter dietary habits or obesity.
Cummins, S. ; Flint, E. ; Matthews, S.A. ;
Health Aff (Millwood), 2014; 33(2):283-91
Retirement and physical activity.
Laverty, A.A. ; Flint, E. ;
J Epidemiol Community Health, 2014;
Associations between active commuting, body fat, and body mass index: population based, cross sectional study in the United Kingdom.
Flint, E. ; Cummins, S. ; Sacker, A. ;
BMJ, 2014; 349:g4887
Do local unemployment rates modify the effect of individual labour market status on psychological distress?
Flint, E. ; Shelton, N. ; Bartley, M. ; Sacker, A. ;
Health Place, 2013; 23C:1-8
Do labour market status transitions predict changes in psychological well-being?
Flint, E.; Bartley, M.; Shelton, N.; Sacker, A.;
J Epidemiol Community Health, 2013;
Do perceptions of the neighbourhood food environment predict fruit and vegetable intake in low-income neighbourhoods?
Flint, E. ; Cummins, S. ; Matthews, S. ;
Health Place, 2013; 24C:11-15
Investigating the effect of the London living wage on the psychological wellbeing of low-wage service sector employees: a feasibility study.
Flint, E. ; Cummins, S. ; Wills, J. ;
J Public Health (Oxf), 2013;
- → View all Dr Ellen Flint's publications